Tuesday

Why my son will have a Life Coach - part two

In yesterday's lead in I mentioned my pursuit of a Life Coaching degree or certification over the past year or so... a few weeks ago I came across an ad in the local paper for a course to be taught here in Hawaii by a mainland school that had rave reviews. The reviews for this school seemed too good to be true, really. All of their graduates, and clients of their graduates, seemed to be having life-changing experiences, and raved about being more prepared to start a practice after the course than they could have imagined. And the complete course took less than a week. Less than a week?! How is that possible?

I reflected on when I was Dean of Students at an alternative high school, and I took a group of students to a film school. This school not only taught them how to make movies, they made a movie, a complete movie - in less than a week. At the time no one thought this was possible, now several film schools do it.

I was still a little less than sure, and stayed that way until after the course began. Soon it became clear what a well-crafted course this was - and how every moment was dedicated to developing and practicing the precise skills we needed. And truly everyone in the class had life-changing experiences. We were an interesting group, attorneys, former therapists, authors, business owners, teachers, and we were each other's life coach through the process, and we found out just how powerful having a life coach can be.

The point to all this is - if my son want to go to college - fantastic, if he doesn't and has another way he wants to go - fantastic, either way he will reap the benefit of my experience - that having a great life coach can be more important than college, so I will hire one for him, likely one of the great coaches I went to school with.

I suggest you, and one day your children, recruit one too.

No comments:

Post a Comment