Monday

Why my son will have a Life Coach - part one


After over ten years of very expensive education, I decided to go back for more. I love where I live (Hawaii), and I loved being a teacher, but I didn't like being a teacher in Hawaii. Without going into too many boring details, Hawaii treats their teachers like smelly compost, and I don't loathe myself enough to put up with that. I thought about returning to academic life, I had been offered a position at a University here, but for various reasons, it was a less than ideal option. A therapist friend had recommended that I look into life coaching. I enjoyed being, and felt that I was successful as a counselor, and I often was a kind of de facto life coach for my friends and colleagues, I was often called "Doctor Dean" - I won't mention what else I was called here.


I spent a year researching life coaching programs - every thing from instant PhD's from diploma mills to two year programs. I also read several books on life coaching (including the text from the two year program). None of the programs in Hawaii appealed to me. Graduates from the more involved programs didn't seem overly enthusiastic about what they had learned. I hired a graduate from one of the programs as a life coach for a few sessions - I was less than impressed. I began to wonder if this was really something I wanted to pursue...

"Tune in for the exciting conclusion tomorrow - same Bat Time, same Bat Channel"

No comments:

Post a Comment